Monday, June 6, 2011

Mystery Shawl Unfurled

 I finished knitting the mystery shawl on the way to the move on Saturday.  It doesn't look like much right off the needles-it has to be soaked and then blocked (pinned out flat to open up the stitches.)
 There were several new construction techniques that I got to try with this pattern.  The garter stitch triangle is knit from the point to the bound off edge at the top, yarn overs at the beginning of each row left a loop to use for picking up stitches to begin the lace patterning for the body of the shawl.  The border lace is knit vertically on new cast on stitches joining it to the body as you knit from one tip to the other!  An excellent knit! 
I used my own spun alpaca yarn,(440yards) so this shawl is deliciously soft. See the difference once it is all blocked?!  It measures 54" across and 32" long down the center. 
Thank you to The Whole Nine Yarns for the KAL!

4 comments:

  1. Even though I know what a difference blocking makes, it still catches me off guard to see its transformation!

    This is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Oh My! That is beautiful! I'll admit to being partial to browns and that looks so soft and warm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, I love the lace on that shawl. I'm always amazed what I bit of blocking can accomplish for natural fibers.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

FLOWERS ON FRIDAY

But first-yesterday's Shop Hop went well-we discovered a very nice new shop in St Augustine;  always a good find!   What I bought this t...